MTC

MTC

Monday, February 12, 2018

E-mail (Dated: 2/12/2018) WHO. HOW. WHY. DO WE LOVE

Why is it that we have had others go astray? Why is it that those once with us, have now chosen to go against us?

How do we find them? How do we change their hearts?

Why should we put in the effort? Why do we not give up on them?

These are questions that I want each of you to ask yourselves. Because we are losing many. Yes, we are gaining many, but what´s the point if they don´t stay with us?

My answer to the above questions;

Our brothers and sisters that have accepted this message are lost and they are going through things we could never imagine. When we should be getting to know them, we look to the congregation around us and say, ¨well one of them will talk to them.¨ But is that really what we should do, is that what Christ did? No, he went out looking for those that were lost, even just for the one.

Now, we have a lot of members that fall away. Maybe for work, or family related situations, but are we doing enough to guide them back in? Do we let them feel loved and important? This is the reason why many fall into other ideas and religions. It´s because they aren´t finding what they saw when they were entering the church.

How we find them is easy. Most of them we already know where they are. We also have a ward list, and a bishop that are there for this reason. How we change their hearts? Well, I think that will come in time. What we have to do is choose to care and to act. We have to love.

¨Why put in the effort´ could be the hardest part.  For me, I like to think about my baptismal covenant. Each one of us makes a promise to God. Do you remember what it is? The question in the interview is, are you willing to take upon you the name of Christ. In 3 Nephi 27 it says;

3 Nephi 27
5 Have they not read the scriptures, which say ye must take upon you the name of Christ, which is my name? For by this name shall ye be called at the last day;

6 And whoso taketh upon him my name, and endureth to the end, the same shall be saved at the last day.

7 Therefore, whatsoever ye shall do, ye shall do it in my name; therefore ye shall call the church in my name; and ye shall call upon the Father in my name that he will bless the church for my sake.

There is a part in the last verse that says that what we do we shall do it in his name. How wonderful is it that he allows us as members to have his authority to do things in his sacred name. With this, as members, we choose to follow his example.

We need to be like Christ which is to strive for:

Faith
Hope
Charity and Love
Virtue
Knowledge
Patience
Humility
Diligence
Obedience

When we have these, the person we are looking to help or bring back will have their change of heart.

My invitation is to find someone this week that others have neglected, or have chosen to go away. Find them, and bring them back to the fold.

---------------------------------

I promise that all my little invitations and themes have something to do with what happened to me during the week, or have special significance. I hope I don´t bore you.

This week we went to Blanca´s little laundromat to talk to her. We arrived with intentions to drop her as an investigator. We have just put a lot of time in her that has been great, but she hasn´t come to church frequently and hasn´t accepted baptism. But we arrived and her cousin (member) was there whom we had never met. She started talking to us and then bore a powerful testimony of her conversion and the church. Then she left, and almost immediately after Blanca asked us when we can set her baptism. We invited her to be baptized the 17 of March!

^^^^^^^^^^^^
(HE KNOWS)

We were also able to go visit Carlos Hernandez. He is a less active member, and his wife and his two sons aren´t members. We took the opportunity this week to talk with them and get to know them. Carlos is a member that is lonely. Not lonely in family, but lonely in the church. He has lived here 14 years and none of the members besides very few know him. Even less have gone to visit him or to help his family. However, this last Sunday, he got up at 6:30 in the morning to bring his family to church. Why? Because he loves God and knows this is his church. We also invited his family to baptism and their baptismal date will be the 24 of February. That is 3 more of God's children. I love this family. 6 months ago I entered their home with Elder Macias, then we lost contact. I never gave up´and I strove to find them. Thanks to my Father in Heaven for answering my prayers and to Carlos' willingness, we were able to find them again and enter their home.

It doesn´t matter how much time passes, we keep persisting. God is always with his children and sends his spirit to ease their hearts and minds.

It was a fantastic week and I am grateful for my mission.

I love you family and friends!

- Elder Harmon

No comments:

Post a Comment